Friday, March 29, 2013

GI Joe: Retaliation

As I drunkenly rode with my significant other to Wal-Mart Tuesday, I couldn't help but pass up GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra on Blu-ray for $10.  It was good right?  I mean, it was a bad movie, but it was fun.  I hadn't seen it since it came out, but damn did I not remember properly.  I watched Rise of the Cobra Tuesday to prepare for my early showing of Retaliation.  I work as a projectionist, so we can watch movies early if we like.  Anyway, this movie was horrible!  I left me almost not wanting to watch Retaliation!  I have a huge GI Joe collection, so theoretically I should love Rise of the Cobra, but nope.

Originally supposed to come out last August, GI Joe: Retaliation is a direct sequel to Rise of the Cobra and opens Thursday.  Why Thursday?  Maybe they feel guilty about pushing it back seven months!  Allegedly the film was pushed back to add 3D, but it was revealed they may have altered some scenes to make the Rock's and Channing Tatum's relationship more believable.  I'm not sure it's believable, but I would hate to see the original cut!


I start the movie, enjoy the wonderful Kick Ass 2 preview, and the movie begins.  I'm expecting shit, complete shit.  the opening scene is an extraction mission to get some guy out of what I believe is North Korea.  It really does not relate to the story, and is a little cheesy.  My expectations stayed the same, but as the movie progressed it get more and more ridiculous.  It seems just like a Saturday morning cartoon brought to life.  Not only were the action scenes in this movie much better, it had so many ninjas!  I have collected almost all the figures from the movie line, even though some aren't great, but I have multiples of all the ninjas. I left the movie wanting to act out the massive ninja battles!


I wasn't convinced at first, there were even a few scenes towards the beginning that angered me.  I don't want to ruin it, but there is a scene where Snake Eyes kind of talks...I was upset, but everything turned out better than expected.

I'm not a professional reviewer, but if you liked the first one, you will like this.  While Bruce Willis isn't in much of it, I would recommend it to any Willis fan.  All his segments are pretty great.  Overall, it's a summer popcorn flick that came out before summer (or after it if you think about when it was supposed to come out).

Go see it if you like mindless action, definitely don't if you don't.  It's a fun movie that you obviously can't take seriously, just have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment