Friday, April 5, 2013

Evil Dead (2013) Spoilers at Bottom of Page

I just finished up my screening of Evil Dead, I'm still not sure what to think exactly.  No worries about spoilers, I'll make it very clear where they are.  There is an after credit sequence, but it isn't exactly what you would expect.  I'm still not sure it was worth waiting for.



I went in with expectations of it being horrible.  I had not watched any trailers or anything, when I went in I had only seen the poster and a few random frames of the movie.  I have to say, it wasn't a predictable movie.  There were multiple times I thought I knew what was going to happen, and was pleasantly surprised when I didn't get it right.


The film pays respect to the original in a number of ways, I think it did a good job in that aspect.  There are shots that are pretty much identical, and even some thinks that are the same.  This one seems more grounded in reality, but that isn't necessarily a plus.

One kind of complaint I have is that is was extremely gory.  While not necessarily a bad thing, I think it relied way to heavily of shocking gore than actual scares.  The effects were well done, and I almost had to look away a few times.


There is a book, but it's different.  I don't know if it was just the artists creativity, or it really is a different necronomicon of sorts.  Similar, but different.

Other than that, it's fairly typical remake/reboot.  A group of people go into a cabin, one gets possessed.  I won't go further until the next paragraph...with intense spoilers.


SPOILERS







TURN BACK


Honestly, this is only after credit sequence spoilers, and really won't ruin the movie



So there were rumors that Ash himself was going to come out of a portal at the end of the movie, having him return from his battle against the Army of Darkness.  There is a sequence at the end, but it was literally six seconds long.  It features the outline of Bruce's face, and his chin.  He said, "Groovy," and that was it.  While really fucking cool, I'm honestly not sure I would have needed to see it, being told it happened would be enough.

ACTUAL STORY LINE SPOILERS HERE

I loved some of the aspects of this film relating it to the original.  I really thought the character named David would be the "Ash" of this movie, and I was very wrong.  I also liked how a certain character conveniently loses their arm while wielding a chainsaw.  I really liked the burying the possessed alive and reviving them thing.  Great idea, and I had no idea that was coming.  Let me know what everyone thought in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment